Italian cuisine is all about tradition, especially when it comes to pizza. However, ever since it was brought over to the United States, it has grown and evolved to become a vessel for some non-traditional, even strange, toppings. Modern-day chefs are busy pushing pizza’s boundaries and discovering that there is a lot that works well on a pizza crust. Here are some of them:
- Peas And Corn – It’s not uncommon to have vegetables on a pizza, but peas and corn are usually delegated to be a side to dishes like chicken fried steak, or fish. But on a pizza? Surprisingly, their sweet flavor is a great match for the rich salty flavor of the cheese. This pizza topping is commonly found in Brazil.
- Beets – Not everyone enjoys beets. Their earthy flavor is one that either you love or you hate. However, it’s that earthy flavor that makes a perfect match to creamy texture and almost sour flavor of goat cheese. The goat cheese cuts the bitterness of the beets. Add a balsamic glaze and some caramelized onions, and you’ve got yourself a deliciously unusual pizza.
- Potatoes – Putting potatoes on pizza in any form is a great idea. It’s not an ingredient that you’d normally see, but it works. Its mild and creamy texture makes it a versatile topping. It pairs perfectly with both the bold flavors in traditional, red-sauced pizza, but also with options like olive oil and rosemary.
- Apple – Wait. Apples on pizza? This is a popular, unconventional topping because it creates a balance of flavors within your pizza. The apples add a sweet crunch that pairs with the savory, creamy-textured cheese. A popular pizza with apple is an apple, goat cheese, caramelized onion, and thyme pizza. Yum.
- Peach – Peaches are similar to apples in that their sweet flavor and juiciness make a great pizza topping. Peaches are not popular on traditional Italian pizza, but instead they are great accompanied by salty parmesan cheese and prosciutto.
- Egg – Breakfast pizzas are a thing. With chefs pushing the pizza boundaries, it was bound to happen. As it turns out, pizza crust is a great vessel to hold breakfast ingredients. Why not? More and more restaurants are creating breakfast pizzas with bacon, sausage, and the all-important egg on top. Oh, and don’t forget the cheese.
- Pesto – Pesto is a common addition to traditional Italian food, like pasta. However, it’s not as commonly seen on pizzas. It makes a great, flavorful replacement to the traditional tomato sauce. Don’t knock it before you try it!
- Mac & Cheese – This pizza is becoming more and more popular, and it is exactly what you would think. Instead of sauce and cheese as the topping, it is a heaping pile of macaroni noodles and cheese atop a freshly baked pizza crust. If you are a mac and cheese lover, this is a must-try.
While these strange pizza toppings are becoming more and more popular, they don’t always suit everyone’s taste. If you are one who doesn’t stray from tradition, La Bella Vita has what you’re looking for. Our traditional Italian cooking and wood-fired pizzas are the best in Brooklyn. Stop in today, and you’ll be treated like family.